Sunday, January 03, 2010

Snow Day = Slow Day

I know it's a Sunday. And Sundays are easy like Sunday morning, for the most part.

Today was a mix.

It snowed last nite in these parts. Three inches, as a matter of fact. Pretty and very quiet. I even thought about making a snowman but the cold stopped me. Instead, I brushed off my car and took it for a drive.

I padded around the town, drug the main drag for about 10 minutes and headed to the local Walmart. I bought things I needed for the coming week and cringed at the thought of the next weather system not being so kind. Brushing off the car was a breeze. Only a little sleet on the hood! It was light fluffy snow. Not so fluffy on the street but fluffy where fluffy should be.

And dirty. Ugh. Let me stop for a minute and appreciate our faithful city employees and office maintenance folks for working today and this evening to make our roads travel-safe and our parking lots less icy. I REALLY appreciate this as a girl who has lost her balance in her adult years. (Maybe yoga and pilates will help!!! )

I enjoyed my drive. A lot. In addition to getting my tundra legs, or wheels in this case, I practiced stunt driving by the fitness center and purposefully skidded (my brakes hate me!) and steered into the skid to stop it. Yes, kids. It works! So, today was educational too! After my car got over the icy abuse, we headed homeward. It was ever so relieved to not be abused!

But alas. When the roomate returned, out it went again. Secretly, it thanks me for charging its battery in this way so it doesn't die in the cold weather. Even if it did die, I am proud to say, I have lots of friend and neighbors ready to help me! But prevention is a good skill to learn while one is single. And skidding. ;)

The front end of the day was very quiet. I did not venture 20 miles south to church. This morning, I was afraid of the roads, namely the interstate. There are more people on them. Over-confident people. With Hummers. (My rear-end costs $1700.00. I really don't want to go through getting a new one. Or worse.) The roomie later confirmed she saw folks who ditched the road for the median off the main highway. Or would that be ditched for a ditch? Heh.

At any rate, I felt backslidden but knew what we'd talk about today anyway.

My church is starting a 21 Day fasting period and has 8 things we are going to pray about over that period. Fasts are not just food fasts anymore! We have options, people. And yes, God called me out on the one I should choose. I squirmed. I fought. But He kept drawing my attention to it. Yep. I'm kicking social networking for a while. And I'm taking it out on my blog.

It's like anything. You get these urges. I want to post that. Or if you'd rather, I want to eat that. Or buy that. Or drink that. Everything has limits. It would seem, I have forgot these. I've been preparing myself by not spending as much time networking there. But it's hard when all your pals are there. However, today, I found three others that are also kicking the habit. I don't want them to fail and I'm pretty sure they don't want me to either! Keep the faith and the focus.

Maybe we'll get some work done. Something organized. Cleaned. Conversations had. Stuff planned. Things made. Speaking of making things...

I worked on my afghan this morning and afternoon. I've been working on this dang thing for three years off and on. It is huge. And brightly colored. I'm excited about it. And yet it wears me down. I have to break from it frequently. I hope to finish it this year. How awesome would that be? And yes, how awesome would it be to be warm from something I MADE!!! I also worked on making a hat. A small one. For my bear, Robair. I am also working on a scarf to match so she won't be cold while I'm at work. ;)

Did I mention I'd like to pick up knitting? Oh yes I would!

Overall, Sunday was a great day. But there are tough days ahead. Days I will have to find something healthy to do in my spare time. Fortunately, tomorrow, I will be distracted with work!!! Yay for idle hours being spent with work. And work equals money. And money pays bills. Oh yes. Bills.

Time to be responsible, take a shower and find those Z's I need to catch. But first, some photos! Whee!

>;)


A random chair. Looks just like mine. But mine is safe!




"...new fallen snow, gave a luster of mid-day to objects below..."
See the yellow house in the foreground? Insert random chair just below.
No. I don''t know how it got there.



Can't you just see Ralphie pushing Randy into the snow on the way to school? Class is canceled tomorrow, so none of that. Maybe I'll push my roomie into the snow.We ARE going to work.



The afghan. The Beast. From March 2007.



I'm serious. It's a beast. Grr.



 Robair models her hat complete with poms!



Let me help you with that scarf, Mom!



 She is a very talented bear...and maybe slightly motivated to be warm!
It's her summer dress she's wearing afterall! Brr...


1 comment:

Karen Rebecca said...

awww, your blanket is coming along nicely! Your bear hat is cute!!
I miss you! *hugs*