Saturday, September 24, 2011

Eye Candy for "Capers"



Big news in my little world- I got invited to exchange ideas, recipes via a weekly challenge in a group called Culinary Capers. Why would this big news? You're reading the "printed" word of a girl who managed to burn water 5 years ago. (Yet you still trust me!) >;o) I guess they think I'm legit? If legit means trying, then yes, I'm your girl!

So on to the recipe that you stopped by to read discussion. This idea has been brewing since I threw together candied carrots for Thanksgiving at least three years ago at my brother's suggestion. I thought it would be neat to treat them like sweet potatoes and see what happened. Afterall, I like sweet baby carrots all marinated in a sugary buttery mess that makes them super irresistible and only somewhat like a carrot in the same spirit of maraschino cherries are only cherries in shape by the time you buy them. So how bad a thing would it be to lose that texture and make them a spoonable buttery mess? Meet hand mixer. Yes, they still had bits that were crinkle-cut and resembled carrots but who cared. They were yummy.

Then I thought on the fact there were sweet potato pies around as well as the classic pumpkin and both originated from similar delectible buttery messes before resting happy on a well-balanced pie crust. I never gave this more thought until Bo Jackson came out with his own line of seasonal pies. And, amid chuckles, gave them a whirl. Not bad, Bo. Not bad.

I continued to put off executing what I thought would be simple. I don't know why I didn't do it until now. After being invited to Capers, and the mention of this week's mystery ingredient, honey, the "duh!" fairy dusted me while I was zoning out working. I scratched up an ingredients list and stuffed it in my purse notebook. Now, to take that side dish to a sturdy pie worth encore. Research on 'tiny' webs revealed a common ingredient to take the mush to pie- I reasoned that all gelified pies had eggs in common and that must be why they "set up". I've made egg custard and cheesecake enough to realize this is key. Again, the duh fairy stopped by again. So, after surveying some recipes for similar pies, I threw in two eggs. And crossed my fingers.


Candied Carrot Pie

  • 2, 16 oz bags frozen crinkle cut carrots (2 lbs)
  • 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
  • 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/3 cup honey- dark clover is the best! ;)
  • 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 Tbsp unsalted butter (yes again!)
  • 5.25 oz (or 1/2 package) mini marshmallows
  • 1, 10" deep dish pie shell 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Microwave carrots in microwave safe dish according to directions adding 1 Tbsp butter. I did this for roughly 30 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, par-bake pie shell (10-12 mins.)

4. Allow carrots to cool (5-10 minutes). Dump carrots in blender. Add whipping cream. Blend. You will still see whole pieces of carrots. If you would like, use pastry blender to mash these more. Remove carrots from blender and transfer to large mixing bowl.

5. Add honey, pumpkin pie spice to carrot mashup. Mix throughout. Transfer to blender. Add eggs. Blend throughout until pureed.

6. In another microwave safe bowl, melt other 1 Tbsp butter. Add marshmallows. Toss to coat in butter. Heat for 1 min. Stir.

7. Add marshmallow goo to carrot puree mixture. Blend throughout until smooth.

8. Pour into pie shell. Cover crust with pie shield or aluminum foil. Bake for 60 minutes.

9. Remove from oven. Cool for 5 mins. Top with marshmallows allowing residual heat to partially melt. Dust with pumpkin pie spice. Allow to cool for another 20 minutes.




May be enjoyed when cooled. Refridgerate any leftovers.


Serves 8.




Coworkers said they had never heard of carrot pie. Blind taste tests had folks thinking it was pumpkin pie. It had a decent shot being a poser pie with pumpkin pie spice! I learned this morning there is a pumpkin shortage so feel free to use this pie if you should find yourself hunting for can puree and can't find! Or maybe you want to see well at nite. ;)






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it, Robin! So glad you're joining us in our 'capers'! :)

Anonymous said...

OMG This is the epitome of the challenge, you outdid yourself. I don't bake often but this is now on the list! YUM!!! Kathy

Betsey said...

Pumpkin pie spice! : )

Betsey said...

I just asked Josh if he would eat a candied carrot pie and he said "Hell yeah I would." I probably wouldn't cause I don't like pumpkin pie. Or cooked carrots. But I applaud your ingenuity!

Betsey said...

And creativity.

Robiana said...

Thank you ladies!