So glad to move on to a new year. I actually don't have many grievances with the 'ol 2011.It was a year of mixed experiences. Sisters getting married, getting a new kitty, enjoying my own kitchen and the usual bonding with friends and family. Hope this year brings lots of good bonding time with family and friends, new recipes and good times. No more wacky weather, please! Okay, 2011. Maybe you are a black sheep of recent years.
So the latest challenge ingredient was oranges picked by yours truly. After exploring zest, I think I'd like to play with it more. I have learned a lot! My hope is that I learn to cook with zest in the future. I did manage to try it in tea. But I didn't add enough! I would like to make cinnamon rolls with orange notes, scones (of course!) and whatever else zest is good with! And, you can't beat a salad with Cuties in it. Yum!
As far as Caper challenges go, I am BAD behind. So, this product is a two-fer. Maybe a three-fer. I found this recipe via a good childhood friend of mine while visiting home over Thanksgiving. She had a craving to put this sauce over ice cream. She figured it was the usual pregnant lady craving. And got teased as such. But me, being the open-minded flavor explorer that I am was all for trying the combo. She said come on over and I totally took her up on it! It was great to catch up over a bowl of tart/sweet post Thanksgiving treat!
I will warn you. Once you make this, you won't want to just have this with turkey. You'll put it on ice cream (don't judge!), on your pancakes/waffles, in your oatmeal, drinks...wherever cranberries go. It's addictive. And rich in antioxidants!!!
Cranberry sauce smelting over ice cream...so good!
Cranberries coming to a boil...
Cranberry Sauce
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 bag fresh, whole cranberries
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
Yes. It's just that easy. You may want to make double batch.


No comments:
Post a Comment