Thursday, October 06, 2011

BLT. Bacon. Love. And Tomatoes!

Greetings, followers/subscribers!

This week's creation is a peace offering for not being on top of things last week. And if you like warm yummy things on cool fall days or when you need antioxidants. (How would you know?!) The special ingredient for this week is cream, or in my case cream and bacon!

I love bacon. I may have said that already. I love tomatoes. I know I haven't shared that. I like cheese and I like cream. (Between all of these ingredients and parallelisms, I could write a song about my love for them. And you might could find it auto-tuned if I get enough hits!) And I love finding odd ingredients that one doesn't see in the market on the regular!

Have you heard of Big Lots? I've liked this store since 1999. Or maybe it was 1998. I only remember the year because I bought beer shampoo there and took it to my cousin's house while up visiting. It was a nice haha between us, since we were minors and all. It was one of the many items I find randomly in that store. Big Lots left my hometown in 2006. They have recently made a comeback! Because I'm a nosy girl, I checked out the new locale to see how it stacked up to the old one. They still have neat little closeout items. But it feels different. I miss the old store and layout. Anywho, I used to not check out the food section because I didn't piddle in the kitchen as a child or teen. Unless it was an Easy Bake oven. (and really, did you need to confine that activity in the kitchen? A wall outlet was my kitchen. And you can find those ALL OVER the house!) As an adult, I love to check out the food and furniture sections of the store. I guess it is part of being an adult. ;) This trip yielded another find.



Campbell's Harvest Orange Tomato Soup


This soup, bacon and cream were my motivators for today's combination. You could leave out the cream and use milk for that portion. And suck the fun out of life too. If you're a proper nerdfighter, you wouldn't dream of it.



Cream of Harvest Orange Tomato and Cheddar Bacon Soup

  • 1 10 3/4 oz can of Campbell's Condensed Harvest Orange Tomato Soup
  • 1 10 3/4 oz can of Campbells's Condensed Low Sodium Tomato Soup
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup 2 % milk
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 cup real bacon crumbles (the ones I mentioned last post!)
  • pepper to taste
  • toast (to serve with each bowl)

Heat on medium heat in saucepan condensed soups, cream, milk together just before boiling point. Add cheese and bacon. Continue to heat until bubbly but not boiling. Serve with toast.

Generously serves 2


Yes. This soup is bad for you. It only redeems itself in being based on tomatoes. Which are good for you. Just like bacon. ;) Hope you enjoy!!!

> ; )


Dinner is served!




At 80 cents, what a steal!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My fave Big Lots! find was Spongebob mac & cheese... I'm not sure WHY I was so amused with it, but I was. ;)

I'm loving this soup... the perfect way to welcome Autumn!!

Betsey said...

"I only remember the year because..." Yeah right! You remember the date of everything that ever happened!!! ;)

Robiana said...

@culinography- I still eat shaped macaroni. Guilty of partaking of SpongeBob NoodlePants! :D

@Betsey- yeah, guilty. My boss teases me about this. But then my team relies on me for it. Hoping my paying attention pays off someday! ;)