Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fall-idays = Holidays. Holidays = family food!

Holiday gatherings are coming. It's inevitable. And I love it. :) And where there are gatherings, there are colorful dishes and side dishes.

In addition to color, this recipe contains an unexpected ingredient. That ingredient happens to be this week's Capers challenge! Guesses? Okay. I'm not much for suspense this week- it's mayonnaise! Yep. And I picked it.

Inspiration for this week's pick was from both a tv ad and my childhood. I went to visit my good friend Paige out at her Dad and sister's cabin one summer weekend and we got caught in what I learned to be a "gully washer" rainstorm. Looking for something to do, we got busy in the kitchen. And I will never forget my reaction to this ingredient being a part of something so sweet- chocolate cake! Curious, I went forward and served as sous chef. And loved the results. The other half of inspiration came from watching an ad for Hellmann's mayonnaise using it for creating a crispy crust to chicken breasts. (I plan on trying this. One of the capers jumped right on that recipe!! )

So you think we're making cake right? ;) Let's shift gears into side dish mode. Or main dish if you like.

Today's recipe comes from the kitchen and home of my older sister. Growing up, this was a family favorite at holiday gatherings and if nothing else, good ol comfort food! From the sound of the title, Holiday Mac-O, one would think this is extra special macaroni and cheese. That's partially true...but it's mostly mayonnaise! Ha!




Holiday Mac-O

from the Bell family kitchen

  • 4 cups cooked elbow macaroni noodles, drained
  • 1 can cream of condensed mushroom soup
  • 1 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 1/2 cups diced peppers (all colors that you prefer. more color = more fun!)
  • 2 Tbsp diced pimentos
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped yellow onions
  • 1 cup shredded cheese

Combine warm cooked macaroni, cream of mushroom soup and mayonnaise. Sauté onions, pimentos and diced peppers in butter in pan until slightly browned. Add to macaroni mixture. Blend with shredded cheese.
At this point, if you want to bake this to bring out the flavors, top with cheese and bake covered at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Uncover the last ten minutes to brown.
 
Estimated 8 servings

> ;)
--------------------------------
So you were here for cake? Well give this a whirl. (When I get back to it, I will post photos!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds pretty great, Robin! I love a good comfort food recipe! :)

Betsey said...

Is culinary capers a group at your church?